Thursday, July 6, 2017

Day 1: Departure

What are you most excited about in the days to come? 
           I am eager to learn about a different culture than my own. This has been one of the biggest reasons that I wanted to take this course. I feel that I need to open my mind to different cultures, so being able to take a course specific to a culture that I have genuine interest in is exciting to me.
What are your apprehensions? 
            One major setback for me was the van ride to North Carolina. I knew it would be a tight squeeze, but once getting in the van and everyone being settled in, I knew that it would be a rough ride. It was not the most comfortable, but from what I have been told, this is an upgrade from the previous group, so I cannot complain too much.
Considering the social/cultural and environmental influences on children, what have you explored in the counties and boundaries in which we will be learning?  
          We have been taught thus far that the Indian Cherokee community is close-knit. Members of their community care for each other and may be reluctant to accept outside civilians. For children, depending on their family situations, it can put them in turmoil, such as not being full-blood Cherokee or being given up for adoption. Being outcasted can cause social, cultural, and environmental issues for them.
What are your thoughts about Native American peoples? 
          I’m not certain that I have an exact thought about the Native American people, as that would mean I am making assumptions without having full knowledge. I feel that I can make an educated comment on this question once I learn and interact more.
Do you think you may have any cultural biases/ prejudices/ pride/stereotyping that you may need to set aside to have better understanding about this culture? Why or why not?

            Related to the previous question, I do not think I have any biases or stereotypes directed towards the Native American peoples. I do know that if I did that it would have to be set aside as I am here to learn and educate myself about them and to not present any prejudices. They have welcomed us to their home, therefore I must respect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 6: Observation Clinical

Now that you have had 3 days in the Cherokee Health Care System, what are some of the most critical issues this culture encounters daily? ...